Wednesday, September 8, 2010

It's Greek to me

Sometimes while I'm writing I must pause to think of the perfectly precise word for the occasion.  Sometimes it takes me half an hour just to come up with a title.  I savour le mot juste.  I adore my well-thumbed, falling apart, 25-year-old paperback thesaurus.  And all of this word obsession is for my mother tongue! 

But what happens when I must speak or write in French?  I yearn to be able to communicate as effectivley in French as certain panelists I listen to on Radio Canada or on Bazzo.tv.  The challenge is that once you are very comfortable in a second language it takes a lot of motivation to improve your vocabulary.  It's just so much easier to rely on the tried and true formula  (did you get that idiomatic but over-used expression?) to express ourselves.  If you are highly motivated to increase your word power, however, you will be rewarded with the satisfaction of accomplishment.

How about taking a vocabulary test at http://www.englishcorner.vacau.com/vocabulary/vocabulary.html
These activities quizz you on your mastery of the Acadmic Word List, a list of more than 500 words that every university student should master.

1 comment:

  1. This test is really showing your understanding of English.

    ReplyDelete