And so, in the interest of anglo-franco cultural rapprochement, I encourage you to learn more about the art of the Thanksgiving feast by the epitome of holiday festivities, the domestic diva herself, Martha Stewart. Enjoy and:
It must be part of the zeitgeist,of l'air du temps. As usual, I was driving in my car this week when I tuned in to a Q debate. The subject : Carnivore vs. vegetarian! The debate neatly ties in to our discussion on the ethics of hunting and eating meat from my previous post, Bullet-proof. Click here for more passionate opinions on the subject. Have a happy Thanksgiving, we have a lot to be grateful for.
My dad wants to celebrate Thanksgiving.. but my mom find it useless and because my mom 'wears the pants'.. we never celebrate Thanksgiving. At least, my dad doesn't work so I can see him a little bit! :)
ReplyDeleteThe only time I celebrate Thanksgiving it`s during Katimavik. I don`t celebrate this holiday with my family.
ReplyDeletePersonally we've never celebrate Thanksgiving in my family. If you ask to my parents what this holyday is, they will probably tell you that they never heard of it. In Quebec, to celebrate and to be close of the people you love, we have Christmas and New year eve
ReplyDeleteAs far as I can remember, my family and I never celebrated Thanksgiving. We might have and I just didn't know that it was Thanksgiving we were celebrating. All I know is that this year, I will be drinking on October 11th! :D
ReplyDeleteMaxime L
I don't really know the origins of Thanksgiving.If it is a day more celebrated in anglophones community, I can understand why quebeccers don't really care about celebrating this. But if we celebrate christmas,why not celebrate thanksgiving? I think this is also a good day to be with your family, have a party together and be happy to see each other.
ReplyDeletePersonnally, what we do in our family is a supper with all of our family members. We don't do it every year because it depends on the circumstances. But when we do it,we gather, eat together and enjoy!
I knew that Thanksgiving was an important holiday for the rest of Canada, but I didn't even know what it was all about... I never celebrated Thanksgiving in my family, I only celebrated when I missed school because of it.
ReplyDeleteJennifer, you are completly right. I never celebrated the Thanksgiving day and honestly, I barely know what it is. I am sure that it is something about a turkey and that's pretty it. I just enjoy this day off (that doesn't count this year unfortunately). :P
ReplyDeleteI usually celebrate this holiday with my family. Every year, we gather at my grand-parents' chalet in Saint-Juste-du-Lac to eat turkey and tones of deserts! It's not as important to us as any other holiday, but we take advantage of this period of year to spend some time all together. But to be honest, I don't even know what we celebrate and why we are celebrating it...
ReplyDeleteLike you Jennifer, I absolutely love Thanksgiving! I love getting together with my family to eat turkey and gravy! It's one of the greatest feelings in the world to sit around the table while the autumn leaves are falling for the trees. I never knew that Quebeq didn't celebrate this holiday and I think it's a shame because it brings such warmth to my heart.
ReplyDeleteHilary
Hola,
ReplyDeleteI have never celebrated Thanksgiving and I have never really know what this holiday is for. My family and I never really pay attention about this holiday. It is a day like every other. All I know about thanksgiving is that we don't have school that day!! :O
Me and my mother celebrate Thanksgiving so Yo must be right if not my familly tradition are false. I even celebrate japanese holyday.So I think everybody must be open to all traditions.
ReplyDeleteI don't know why Thanksgiving exist but It's look like a big christmas party. I should made search to know this holiday better.
ReplyDeleteIn my family we don't really celebrate Thanksgiving but it's a day when our family come together and eat a good diner also for me it's a day when there is no school !
ReplyDeleteTo be honest, I have never really payed attention of the Tanksgiving tradition in my entire life...(really sad)
ReplyDeleteBut this monday, I comeback home for at least one month without seeing a member of my family and I really miss them! They'll probably prepare me a great supper..I can't wait to see them!
Dorothée
I have never celebrated Thanksgiving. But it could be a good occasion to throw a familial party and to be grateful about the moments that we have shared during the year. If people are not grateful then they can celebrate the upcoming winter!
ReplyDeleteFrançois J.