Thursday, November 18, 2010

Blogfest

There are lots of inspiring blogs in the blogosphere where you can read inspiring stories about hope, survival and overcoming great obstacles. The best of these blogs use their circumstances to comment on an aspect of society.

 A subgenre of this type of blog, however, is the fabricated personal challenge blog in which bloggers impose artificial limits on themselves and then write about their trails and tribulations, their triumphs and defeats all in order to to have something interesting to write about in which ME is the star.  This subgenre reminds me of reality tv because both present a narrative arc that is entirely based on artificial challenges and fake fortuitous circumstances.  A classic example of this kind of blog is the Julie/Julia Project.

And so, because I am feeling frivolous and in the hope that one day  I too will become famous and  have a movie produced based on my blog, here are my suggestions for my ticket to fame:

Incognito:  I infiltrate the mafia and write both scathing critiques and lush praise for this deadly yet alluring secret society.

Karaokegirl:  I enter karaoke contests throughout Asia in a bid to become a karaoke star.

$%?*(*&?  -OFF:  I challenge myself to stop swearing in French or in English for an entire six months.

Choxtasy:  I eat a chocolate bar a day (not Mars or Caramilk--the good stuff!) and describe the taste sensations in exquisite detail.  Perhaps Lindt will sponser me?

Canterbury Tales:  I take a year off work in order to write about living like a woman of medieval England.  I write about food, health, education, entertainment, work and family life.  Nevermind that blogging is certainly anachronistic for the year 1310.

Well, I can go on and on but my eyes are getting blurry.  Which one do you vote in?  Do you have other suggestions for me?  How about you?  What's your challenge, real or imaginary?

7 comments:

  1. I vote for the 'incognito' challenge. ahah, :) If you can do that, I'll challenge myself to stop swearing in French.. and it's going to be really hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vote for the "$%?*(*&? -OFF" because it would be easy for you. I'm pretty sure that you're not swearing a lot, I mean you're not looking like a lumberjack.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm afraid that swearing is essential to my personal mental health so... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The best challenge for anybody swearing would be to stop to do it.. I would like to try it soon, maybe for 2011! :)

    Though I hope you're gonna try to infiltrate the mafia, that would be awesome. For my part, I would of course become a professional poker player. I keep it a hobby but maybe it will change one day. For now, let's keep a realistic goal in mind, stop saying things like %*&?$!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I vote for the '' incognito'' even if I think it's dangerous challenge :P ! But everything is possible.

    And for me the real challenge would be to stop swearing in fench also in english for a certain period of time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would definitely try eating chocolate every day! I am obssessed and always looking for an excuse to buy a ten dollar chocolate bar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The "choxtasy" one looks interesting.. but in this case, maybe you would become famous for an overweight problem at the end. Anyway, I think I would pay to see you as a karaokegirl. We should try it in class. :)

    ReplyDelete